Tuesday 17 April 2007

Architects and Landscape Architects can be friends!

Ok, it is almost finals week, I have two kids and a new puppy to chase after, and I have a gazillion projects due like YESTERDAY, so of course I am doing the natural thing here in my blog - procrastinating!

I wanted to comment about the gray area between the two disciplines of architecture and landscape architecture. I am a teaching assistant in an introductory architecture studio this semester, and I really enjoy working with the students. I also love it when they teach ME a thing or two about photoshop! Today we had an interesting discussion about the boundary between our disciplines. Often, landscape architects will suggest a structure's shape or design when designing the environment around it, if there is nothing there yet. These impressions can often stick in a client's mind, so I believe it is prudent for the designer to try and remain vague and neutral with such suggestions, in order to make the architect's job easier later. However, by the same token architects should tread carefully when siting trees, ponds, etc in a design because those elements may not be feasible in reality or may be countered by other (dare I say better?) ideas formulated by the landscape architect. So each discipline must tread carefully and take care not to project too dominant of a theme relating to the other's "territory" in a design. There's room for both of them to work together and even inspire each other, too, of course.

No comments: